23 Awesome Mustaches for Movember Inspiration
If these pictures don't get you in the giving mood, nothing will
11/01/2012|By Thriive Staff
The mustache is the perfect furry facial accessory for November.
Not simply because it holds cappuccino foam or whipped cream long after you’ve taken a sip, like an endzone celebration for warm frothy drinks, but because it raises awareness and funds for men’s health causes — specifically prostate and testicular cancer.
The mustache has become an international symbol for charity thanks to two crazy Australians.
What started in 2003 as a couple of Aussies growing cookie dusters for kicks, has become Movember — a foundation and charity movement where people grow mustaches during the month of November to raise awareness and funds for men’s health issues. Last year over 855,000 people grew mustaches for the cause, and $126.3 million was raised globally for charity.
In honor of Movember, we have compiled a list of 20 sensational mustaches throughout history to inspire would-be Movember participants into action.
1) Tom Selleck aka Magnum, P.I.
2) Former Major League Pitcher Rollie Fingers
3) Attorney General Eric Holder
4) “Chester Magillicuty”
5) Pro wrestler and sex tape star Hulk Hogan (aka “Thunderlips“)
6) “Natalie Portman”
7) Coach Mike Ditka of Daaa Bears
8) Civil War General Ambrose Burnside
9) Untalkative film star Charlie Chaplin
10) Epic American runner Steve Prefontaine
11) Parks and Recreation’s Ron Swanson
12) 1800s New York gangster “Bill The Butcher”
13) Often overlooked Lady Gaga
14) Spanish surrealist painter Salvador Dali
15) William “Bill” Shakespeare
16) John Oates of Hall and Oates
17) Ancient ruler and mall destroyer Genghis Khan
18) F*** you’re cool Brad Pitt
19) Obama campaign advisor David Axelrod
20) Know it all Alex Trebek
21) Squeaky clean folk singer David Crosby
22) Broadway Joe Namath
23) This Guy
Hopefully these pictures got you in the mood to participate in Movember, or donate to the Movember Foundation.
If you do decide to participate, and we hope you will, post your mustache pics to our Facebook page.
If we missed some great mustaches in history, send us a picture at tips@thriive or post it in the comments below — and tell us what your favorite is.
- Team Thriive
UPDATED: MOst likely to make the list next year…
Manolo’s MOnolo shoes